Golden crispy tofu dressed in oyster sauce over fresh crunchiness of bean sprouts, romaine lettuce, onion and cilantro. Hearty, light and healthy all at once, this tofu salad is a complete meal. You can find all the ingredients in your local supermarket, no need to go to an Asian market.
- Firm Tofu (make sure to buy firm tofu, cubed into 1/4 inch pieces)
- Romaine Lettuce (1 head)
- Bean Sprouts (2 cups)
- Red Onion (1/4 of 1 large onion)
- Cilantro (1 cup)
Get your firm tofu here:
Mori-Nu Firm Tofu
Dressing for Salad:
- Rice Vinegar (4 tablespoons)
- Lemon (juice of half of 1 lemon)
- Olive Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
Get rice vinegar:
Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar
Dressing for Tofu:
- Oyster Sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Soy Sauce (1 teaspoon)
Get oyster sauce:
Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Sauce (18 oz.)
1) With a paper towel, blot tofu to get rid of excess water.
2. Slice tofu into small cubes. Again, with a paper towel, blot cubed tofu.
2) Prepare dressing for tofu: in a small bowl, mix oyster sauce and soy sauce. Set aside.
3) In a large heated pan, add vegetable oil. Place cubed tofu and scatter them evenly in the pan. After a few minutes of cooking when one side of tofu is golden, take spatula and dig under the tofu to unstick tofu from the pan. Taking a tong, gently turn the tofu to the other side so it can turn golden brown on both sides.
4) Once all tofu cubes are golden brown, add the dressing for tofu (oyster sauce and soy sauce), and sautee until the sauce covers all the tofu. Set tofu aside.
5) Slice your Romaine lettuce and red onion. Hand pick the leaves from the stems of the cilantro (throw out the stems). Place Romaine lettuce, red onion, bean sprouts, and cilantro into a large bowl.
6) Prepare salad dressing: mix rice vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and paper in a small bowl.
7) Add salad dressing to vegetables and mix to dress all the vegetables. Add cooked tofu with oyster sauce on salad.