Here’s a recipe for the famous Thai Basil Shrimp dish you can now make at home without going to an Asian supermarket. This dish will wow your taste buds with a little sweet and spice and, at the same time, give you the distinctive herbal flavor of the basil.
- Shrimp (1 lb. with no skin)
- Basil Leaves (3 cups)
- Carrot (2 pieces, thinly sliced)
- Green Pepper (1, thinly sliced into strips)
- Onion (1, thinly sliced)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
For the sauce:
- Soy Sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Brown Sugar (3 teaspoons)
- Water (3 tablespoons)
- Red Pepper Flakes (1 teaspoon)
Vegetables you will need:
1) Slice your carrots, green pepper, and onion into thin strips. Mince your garlic.
2) Roughly chop your basil leaves.
3) Prepare the sauce: in a small bowl, add soy sauce and brown sugar and mix until all the sugar dissolves into the soy sauce. Then add water and red pepper flakes.
4) In a large hot skillet, add vegetable oil and garlic. Sautee garlic for 30 seconds.
5) Add carrot and sautee for 1 minute. Add green bell pepper and sautee for 1 minute. Add white onion and sautee until it is slightly translucent about 2 minutes. Add most of your basil leaves (leave some aside for the end).
6) Add sauce and shrimp.
7) Place lid for 2-3 minutes, so shrimp can cook inside. Finish cooking without lid on.
8) Turn off flame and add rest of your basil leaves.
Serve over rice. Serves: 4-6
Ying & Yang Living says
Hi Amallia.. It’s easy to make, and the best thing is that you don’t have to go to an Asian market!