So healthy and light, these Asian eggplants are steamed to delicate perfection and topped with a savory yet slightly spicy dressing for a little heat.
- Chinese or Japanese Eggplant (3 pieces, sliced into 1/4 inch thick long pieces)
- Scallion (1 stalk, diced)
- Garlic (1 clove, minced)
- Soy Sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Sesame Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Sirracha Sauce (1/2 teaspoon)
- Red Pepper Flakes (1/2 teaspoon)
Get your Sirracha Sauce here: Huy Fong, Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
1) Slice your eggplant into 1/4 thick pieces.
2) Line your bamboo steamer with parchment paper. Place sliced eggplants in bamboo steamer. Place bamboo steamer lid.
3) In a large skillet or wok, add about 2 inches of water. Place bamboo steamer with eggplant in water. Turn flame until water starts to boil. After water starts to boil, let it simmer boil for 7 minutes only and the steam rising will make the eggplant tender but not mushy.
4) Prepare dressing: in a small bowl, mix scallions, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sirracha sauce, and red pepper flakes.
5) Plate the steamed eggplants and pour dressing over it.