Instead of the usual scrambled egg for breakfast or brunch, try our low calorie scrambled tofu with home potatoes, yellow zucchini, tomatoes and spinach. You will not miss the egg in this dish, as tofu is so hearty and a lot of flavor is extracted from all the delicious vegetables. Super healthy and a perfect dish for you Vegans out there!
- Firm Tofu (1 cake, make sure it’s the firm tofu, not soft)
- Potato (1 peeled, diced)
- Cherry Tomatoes (1 cup, sliced in half)
- Yellow Zucchini (1, diced)
- Spinach (2 1/2 cups)
- Onion (1/2 of a large onion or 1 small onion, diced)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- Red Pepper Flakes (1 teaspoon)
- Olive Oil
Get your tofu here: Mori-Nu Firm Tofu
Oil, spices, and vegetables you’ll need:
1) Cut all the vegetables: dice the potato, zucchini, and onion all into 1/4 inch cube pieces. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Mince the garlic.
2) Prepare the tofu. Place tofu in a linen cloth with pores and squeeze out all the excess water. Put tofu aside.
3) In a hot skillet (preferably cast iron), add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add potatoes and sautee. Add pinch of salt and pepper. Scatter potatoes evenly in skillet so all potatoes can cook crispy golden brown. You can place lid on skillet, which will help potatoes to cook inside. Occasionally sautee the potatoes with a spatula, so they don’t burn. Potatoes are done when they’re soft on the inside yet golden crispy on the outside, about 15 minutes to cook potatoes. Set aside cooked potatoes.
4) In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil. Add garlic, onion, and yellow zucchini and sautee until they are slightly soft but still retain some crunchiness to the onion and zucchini (about 5 minutes of sautéeing). Add pinch of salt and pepper.
5) Add tomatoes and sautee for just 2 minutes, so tomatoes still retain their shape.
6) Add tofu and mix it in well with the vegetables. Add pinch of salt and pepper.
7) Add cooked potatoes and mix well.
8) Add spinach until it becomes wilted.
9) Add red pepper flakes and mix well.