A simple vegan side dish, crunchy watercress is slightly wilted in water and then tossed into a flavorful marinade made with red miso, red hot pepper paste, sesame oil and garlic. Light, healthy and delicious!
- Watercress (3 bundles, washed)
- Red Miso (1 tablespoon, red miso is the darker colored miso)
- Red Hot Pepper Paste (1 tablespoon, this is the Korean red hot pepper paste)
- Sesame Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Toasted Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
Ingredients you will need:
Red Hot Pepper Paste:
1) Wash watercress. In a large pot, add about 3 inches of water and bring it to a boil. Once water boils, add watercress and cook in water for like 1 minute. With a spoon, flip the watercress, so the top watercress submerges to the bottom, and all of the watercress is wilted. Do not over cook water cress. While watercress is wilted, there it should still be crunchy. Total watercress cooking time should be about 2-3 minutes to retain crunchiness.
2) In a colander, drain watercress water, and with cold water, rinse watercress. With your hands, squeeze excess water from watercress, which will form into round shaped balls. With knife, slice watercress into bite sized pieces.
3) Mince garlic and add to a large bowl. Add miso, red hot pepper paste, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. With a spoon, mix the marinade well.
4) Add cooked watercress into marinade, and, with your hand, toss watercress with marinade, making sure the marinade covers all of the watercress.
Serve with rice. Serves about 4.