Hearty Udon noodle soup in a delicious Japanese Bonita flavored broth with Wakame seaweed, Japanese fish cake, and hard boiled egg for wonderful texture. This soup warms your body and soul.
- Udon Noodles (4-6 blocks, they come as frozen blocks)
- Dried Wakame Seaweed (1/8 of an ounce in dried form)
- Japanese Fish Cake on wooden block (1 stick)
- Eggs (4-6 hard boiled)
- Scallion (3 stalks, diced)
- Water (12 cups)
- Asian Turnip (1/2 of one turnip)
- Onion (1 piece)
- Japanese Bonita Flakes (1/8 of an ounce)
- Soy Sauce (4 tablespoons)
- Salt (2 teaspoons)
Ingredients you will need:
Japanese Bonita Flakes:
Dried Wakame Seaweed:
Rest of the ingredients:
1) In a bowl, soak seaweed in water for 30 minutes so it becomes soft. After it’s soft, then with scissors, cut seaweed into small bite sized pieces.
2) Wash Asian turnip. With skin peeler, remove Asian turnip skin. Slice turnip into quarter pieces. Slice onion in half.
3) Dice scallions and leave aside.
4) Slice fish cake. First slice fish from wooden plate, then slice fish into thin pieces and leave aside.
5) In small pot with water, boil eggs. Once water starts to boil, it takes about 7 minutes for the eggs to become hard boiled.
6) In large pot, add 12 cups of water. Add half of the sliced Asian turnip, both halves of the onion and bonita flakes. Place lid on pot. Turn heat up high. Once water starts to boil, then reduce flame to low to medium and simmer cook broth for 30 minutes.
7) After 30 minutes, broth will turn a little yellow. With a strainer, remove all of the turnip, onion and bonita flakes and throw out the vegetables, just leaving the broth. Make sure to remove all of the bonita flakes.
8) To the broth remaining, add soy sauce and salt and stir so salt dissolves into broth. Bring broth back up to a boil.
9) To the broth, add Udon noodles, fish cake, and seaweed pieces. Add diced scallions last.
10) In a serving bowl, add noodles first with some fish cake and seaweed. Then add broth with scallions.
11) Slice hard boiled egg in half and add to soup.