A wonderful dish for vegans or vegetarians that keeps you satisfied. Tofu is pan fried into golden crispy texture and then simmered cooked in a soy sauce with sesame oil, sesame seeds, garlic and scallion.
- Firm or Extra Firm Tofu (2 cakes, make sure to get firm or extra firm tofu to pan fry)
- Scallion (4 stalks, diced)
- Garlic (4 cloves, minced)
- Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon)
- Sesame Oil (2 tablespoon)
- Soy Sauce (4 tablespoons)
- Water (1/2 of a cup)
- High Temperature Vegetable Oil (sunflower or grape seed or peanut oil)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Slice Tofu. First slice tofu in half down the middle. Then on the side, make two slices, so the tofu becomes a thin rectangular shape. With paper towel, blot all of the excess water from tofu, so it can become crispy when you pan fry it.
2) In a hot pan, add about 1/4 inch of high temperature vegetable oil. Spread oil around to make sure it covers entire pan. Carefully place 4 tofu pieces in pan. Make sure heat is high to medium (safer to have heat a little bit more on the high side). It is important to keep the temperature pretty high to get the crispy texture on the tofu. It will take about 3 minutes for tofu to get crispy golden brown on one side. Once tofu is golden brown, carefully flip and cook the other side for another 3 minutes.
3) Once tofu is crispy golden brown on both sides, transfer tofu to a plate.
4) Dice your scallions and mince your garlic.
5) In a bowl, add garlic, scallion, soy sauce, sesame oil, water and sesame seeds. With spoon, mix so all the flavors come together.
6) In a large pot, place one layer of cooked tofu. Add some of the sauce over tofu. Then place another layer of tofu and add more sauce. Depending on how big your pot is, you may need to place a third layer of tofu. Spread the rest of the sauce on top of tofu.
7) Place lid on pot and turn flame high. Once sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer cook for 5 minutes so tofu absorbs flavors of sauce.
Pair with rice and serves 4.