Here’s my healthy version of fried rice. Brown rice is paired with chicken breast, broccoli, carrot and bean sprouts! A one pot dish, this is a complete meal!
- Short Grained Brown Rice (2 cups)
- Chicken Breast (1 lb., cubed)
- Broccoli (about 9 ounces)
- Carrot (1 piece, diced)
- Bean Sprouts (about 8 ounces)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- Soy Sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Fish Sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Vegetable Oil
Ingredients you will need:
1) Cook the rice. Wash rice and make sure to drain all of the water from the rice. In a medium sized pot, add 4 cups of water to cook 2 cups of rice. Once water starts to boil, add rice. Place lid and turn flame to low. Simmer cook rice for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn off the flame and let the rice just sit for 10 minutes. If you have left over rice in the refrigerator, use this. Day old rice is better than fresh rice for fried rice.
2) Mince your garlic. Peel and dice your carrots. Slice off stem from broccoli and slice broccoli into smaller bite sized pieces. Leave sliced vegetables on the side.
3) Cube chicken breast into about 1/2 inch pieces.
4) In a large hot frying pan, add vegetable oil. Add chicken and some salt to flavor chicken. Cook chicken in medium to high flame, so chicken gets a little golden brown. Once chicken is cooked, transfer it to a bowl.
5) In the same frying pan, add a little more vegetable oil. Add garlic and broccoli first. Sautee for 2-3 minutes, so broccoli starts to get soft (but you want broccoli to still retain crunchiness).
6) After broccoli gets a little soft, add carrot and sautee for another 1-2 minutes so carrot gets soft.
7) Finally add bean sprouts. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and sautee for 1-2 minutes, so the soy sauce and fish sauce cover all of the vegetables.
8) Add chicken, cooked brown rice, and then add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and sautee until all of the flavors come together.