When I crave something spicy, I usually go for Korean Kimchi. A really home-made recipe, Kimchi has been sautéed in sesame oil and then simmer cooked with rice cakes, along with onion and scallions. The rice cakes turn out so soft and chewy and combined with the kimchi, this dish really satisfies your spicy craving.
- Rice Cakes (18 ounces)
- Kimchi (4 cups)
- Scallion (5 stalks, sliced into 1 inch pieces)
- Onion (1, sliced into thin pieces)
- Korean Red Hot Pepper Paste (2 tablespoons)
- Honey (2 tablespoons)
- Sesame Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Water (1 1/2 cup)
If you can’t get Korean Hot Pepper Paste or Kimchi, get it here:
Sunchang Gochujang Korean Hot Pepper Paste
Seoul Kim Chi SPICY 28oz – Fresh & Healthy All Natural Gluten Free MADE UPON ORDER Lucky Food’s Kimchi
Ingredients you will need:
1) Rinse your rice cake in water so it doesn’t stick together from the freezing.
2) Slice scallion into 1 inch pieces and thinly slice onion. Leave aside.
3) In hot pan with lid, add sesame oil. Add kimchi and sautee for 1-2 minutes. Add onion and sautee for 1 minute.
4) Add water, and then add red hot pepper paste and honey. Make sure to dissolve the red hot pepper paste and honey into the kimchi liquid.
5) Add rice cakes. Make sure rice cakes are all submerged into the kimchi liquid.
6) Place lid and reduce heat to low and simmer cook for 15 minutes.
7) After 15 minutes, open lid and add scallions and toss into rice cakes.