Instead of the high fat butter or sour cream topping on your baked potato, try this healthy yet delicious avocado topping made with red onion, cilantro, and lemon with a hint of Japanese Wasabi for a nice kick.
- Large Russet Potatoes (4)
- Riped Avocado (2 large ones or 3 small ones)
- Red Onion (half of a medium sized red onion)
- Cilantro Leaves (remove leaves from stems, about 1 cup)
- Lemon (juice of 1 lemon)
- Japanese Wasabi Paste (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (3/4 teaspoon)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash your potatoes and wrap them with cooking foil. Place potatoes on baking sheet. Once oven reaches 400 degrees, bake potato in oven for 1 hour or until it becomes soft inside.
2) Prepare your avocado topping. Slice your avocado and place in a bowl. 1) With sharp knife, slice avocado in half. 2) With your hands, twist avocado so it becomes two pieces. 3) With knife, remove avocado pit. 4) With spoon, scoop out avocado into a bowl.
3) Dice half of a red onion. Place red onion in with avocado, and mash up the avocado with a spoon.
4) Squeeze juice of one lemon into avocado and add diced red onion. With spoon, mash up avocado into red onion.
5) With hands, remove leaves from cilantro, dice cilantro leaves, and add cilantro into avocado.
6) Add salt, pepper and wasabi into avocado and mix until all of the ingredients are well integrated. Now the avocado topping is ready.
7) Once potatoes are cooked, take them out of cooking foil. With knife, slice potatoes in half. With a spoon, take some of the avocado topping and place over potatoes.