I love arugula for it’s slightly bitter flavor, so I paired it with fennel for its licorice flavor and pecan nuts for its crunchy texture. I balanced the arugula with a naturally sweet dressing made with fresh squeezed orange juice and sesame oil.
- Baby Arugula (3-4 ounces)
- Fennel (1 piece, sliced)
- Pecans (1/2 cup of diced pecans, if you can’t find diced pecans, then buy whole pecans and dice with knife in small pieces)
- Dried cranberries (I forgot to add it to this recipe, so it is optional, but I think it’s better with dried cranberries)
- Navel Oranges (juice of 2 oranges)
- Sesame Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Maple Syrup (2 teaspoons)
- Roasted Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1 teaspoon)
Ingredients you will need:
You will also need a mandolin slicer:
1) Prepare dressing. In a small bowl, squeeze juice of 2 oranges and zest some of the skin of the orange for more flavor. Then add sesame oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and sesame seeds. Mix with a spoon and leave aside.
2) In a large bowl, add baby arugula.
3) Slice the stems and leaves off the fennel, so you are just using the fennel bulb. With your hand remove the dirty outer layer of fennel. Slice fennel in half. With a mandolin, slice fennel in paper thin pieces.
4) Add fennel and diced pecan nuts to arugula. (If you have dried cranberries, add that too). Pour dressing and with a tong, toss salad.