Now that winter has arrived, this hot & sour soup is the perfect recipe to make you feel warm and cozy.
- Tofu (1 cake, silken or medium firm)
- Bamboo shoots (1 cup, or 1 8 ounce can)
- Portabella mushroom (1 large) or button mushrooms (1 cup)
- Sugar (1 ½ tablespoons)
- Soy sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Rice wine or red wine vinegar (3 tablespoons)
- Corn starch (3 tablespoons dissolved in 1/3 cup of water)
- Sesame oil (3 tablespoons)
- Egg (2 beaten)
- Scallions (2 stalks, diced)
- Hot chili oil ( 2 tablespoons)
- Water (6 cups)
- Chicken broth (2 cups, add water instead if you are vegetarian)
- Salt & pepper (1 tablespoon each)
In a large pot, boil water and chicken stock. Add bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and tofu. Then add sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, chili oil, salt and pepper. Slowly pour the dissolved corn starch in water while stirring. Slowly pour in beaten egg while stirring. Add scallions before serving.