Steamed Tilapia Fish with Ginger, Scallion & Sesame Seed Topping
Can’t get healthier or more delicious than this recipe. Delicate tilapia fish is steam cooked and paired with a ginger, scallion & sesame seed topping. You will feel satisfied and nourished at the same time!
- Tilapia Fish or any light fish like Cat fish (4 pieces)
- Ginger (3 inches, julienned)
- Scallion (2-3 stalks, diced)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Roasted Sesame Seeds (1 teaspoon)
- Red Hot Pepper Flakes (1/2 teaspoon)
- Soy Sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Water (6 tablespoons)
- Vegetable oil with less flavor like safflower, canola or grapeseed (4 tablespoons)
- Bamboo Steamer
- Baking Sheet
Ingredients you will need:
1) Salt and pepper fish on both sides.
2) Line each layer of bamboo steamer with baking sheet. Place 2 pieces of fish in one layer. Fold the baking sheet and stack the layers of bamboo steamer and place lid. Here’s a video on how to use a bamboo steamer!
3) In a wide pan that is larger the steamer, add about 3 inches of water. Place the bamboo steamer in the water, and make sure water covers about 1 inch of the steamer. Turn fire to high. Once water starts to boil, steam cook the fish for about 12 minutes and the fish should be cooked. Fish texture will be light and flaky.
4) Peel and julienne ginger. Dice scallion and mince garlic.
5) In a hot pan, add vegetable oil and sautee garlic and ginger first for about 1-2 minutes so the flavors start to come out. Then add scallion and sautee for about 10-15 seconds (keep scallion crunchy). Add soy sauce , water, red hot pepper flakes, and sesame seeds. Sautee for like 20 seconds (don’t want to cook long because you want to retain the liquid).
6) Gently place steamed fish on plate (fish is very flaky). Place topping over steamed fish. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and serve with rice.