Soba Noodles in Cool Lime & Soy Sauce Broth with Chicken & Fresh Asian Turnip
A very light and refreshing noodle dish! Cooked Japanese Soba noodles are placed in a cool savory broth flavored with soy sauce, Japanese Mirin and fresh lime. Blended Asian turnip and steamed chicken breast are placed right on top! Soooo delicious!
- Soba Noodles (15 ounce, serves about 6 people)
- Chicken (1/2 lb. of chicken breast with no skin, make sure chicken breast is no thicker than 1 inch)
- Scallion (2-3 stalks, diced)
- Asian Turnip
- Water (8 cups)
- Soy Sauce (16 tablespoons or 2/3 of a cup)
- Japanese Mirin (Japanese condiment, 16 tablespoons or 2/3 of a cup)
- Lime (juice of 2 limes)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Prepare broth first. Measure out soy sauce and mirin.
2) In large bowl, add water, soy sauce and Japanese Mirin, and squeeze juice of two limes. Place cooking foil over broth and place in refrigerator so it can cool down.
3) In a steamer, add about 2 inches of water. Place chicken breast in steamer and add a little salt for seasoning. Place lid and turn flame to high. Once water starts to boil, reduce flame to medium heat and steam cook chicken for 12-15 minutes. With knife, make sure chicken is thoroughly cooked. Slice chicken in thin pieces.
4) Slice Asian turnip in half and use just half of the turnip. Slice half of the turnip into smaller cubed pieces. In a wide blender, place Asian turnip. Add a little water (like 3-4 tablespoons) and blend the turnip until it becomes a smooth texture. Place turnip in bowl and leave aside.
5) In a large pot with boiling water, cook soba noodles. The noodles should cook in about 7 minutes. Taste to make sure they are cooked. Once noodles are cooked, in a colander, rinse soba noodles in cold water (this is important).
6) Dice scallions into small pieces.
7) Now you’re ready to assemble. Take out the cooled broth out of refrigerator. In a bowl, add soba noodles first. Add sliced chicken and a spoon full of blended Asian turnip. Add broth around the noodles. Finally add diced scallions and squeeze fresh lime on top.