Shrimp & Cilantro Dumplings with Hot Chili Sesame Dressing
Delicious dumplings with a shrimp, fresh cilantro and garlic filling and paired with savory dressing that includes hot chili sesame oil, soy sauce, and toasted sesame seeds. It’s a food match made in heaven.
- Jumbo Shrimp (1.5 lbs. including skin)
- Cilantro (1 bundle, use only the leaves)
- Garlic (4 cloves)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Wonton Skins (about 50)
- Egg (1 beaten)
- Soy Sauce (6 tablespoons)
- Hot Chili Sesame Oil (4 tablespoons, it is important to get the hot chili sesame oil)
- Toasted Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon)
- Scallion (1 stalk, diced)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Peel skin from shrimp. Wash shrimp.
2) In a wide blender, place shrimp, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pick off the leaves of the cilantro and add the leaves in to the blender (throw out the stems).
3) Blend all of the ingredients until you get a smooth creamy texture.
4) Beat one egg in small bowl (egg will bind the wonton skin).
5) Lay wonton skin on cutting board. Dip small spoon into beaten egg. Spread egg half way around the wonton skin.
6) With a spoon, scoop out some of the blended filling and place it at the center of the wonton skin.
7) Fold wonton in half and with one finger carefully seal all the edges making sure there are no air bubbles.
8) On baking sheet, add some flour. Place dumplings on the baking sheet.
9) In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Carefully drop dumplings into boiling water (boil about 10 at a time depending on how large your pot is you can boil more or less dumplings). Place lid on pot and let the dumplings boil for about 5 minutes making sure the shrimp filling is fully cooked.
10) You will see the dumplings rise to the top of the water. With a hand strainer, carefully scoop out the cooked dumplings and place them in a bowl with cold water so they do not stick together.
11) If you wish to freeze some of the dumplings, then you can place them in cooking foil and brush some oil between the dumplings so they do not stick together. Then you can freeze in refrigerator.
12) Prepare the dressing. Dice scallion into small pieces.
13) Prepare dressing. In a small bowl, add soy sauce, hot chili sesame oil, sesame seeds, and diced scallions. Mix well.
14) Before serving, drizzle dressing over dumplings.
Recipe makes about 50 dumplings.