My own version of my favorite salad at my local Thai restaurant: cucumber with red and green onion and paired with a refreshing light lime dressing.
Light and healthy cucumber salad with red onion and scallion, paired with a delicious Thai dressing made with fresh lime, a touch of fish sauce, and a dash of red pepper flakes for a nice kick.
- Cucumber (1 large, julienne)
- Red Onion (1/4 of a red onion, julienne)
- Scallion (2 stalks, diced)
- Rice Vinegar (2 tablespoons)
- Honey (1 tablespoon)
- Fish Sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Vegetable Oil with no flavor, like safflower, canola or grape seed (2 tablespoons)
- Red Hot Pepper Flakes (1 teaspoon)
- Lime (juice of 1 lime)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Prepare dressing. In a small bowl, add rice vinegar and honey. With spoon, dissolve the honey into vinegar (make sure all of the honey is dissolved into vinegar).
2) To the honey vinegar, add fish sauce and squeeze juice of 1 lime. Then add vegetable oil and red hot pepper flakes. With spoon, mix dressing. Leave dressing aside.
3) Slice ends of cucumber and slice into 1/3 pieces. With a mandolin slice cucumber into julienne pieces. Transfer sliced cucumber into a large bowl.
4) Slice onion in half. With mandolin, take one half of the onion and slice half of the half onion into thin julienne pieces, so you are just slicing 1/4 of one whole onion. Add sliced onion to cucumber.
5) Dice your scallions and add to cucumber and onion.
6) Add dressing and toss with a tong.