If you want a meal without rice or carbs, this is it! I made a delicious filling with low fat turkey, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and crunchy almonds, all flavored with a savory yet slightly sweet hoisin & samba chili paste sauce. Then butter lettuce is wrapped around the filling for food heaven!
- Butter Lettuce
- Low Fat Ground Turkey (1.25 lb.)
- Red Bell Pepper (1 piece, diced)
- Onion (1/2 of a medium to large onion, diced)
- Cilantro (1/2 cup of diced cilantro)
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- Sliced Almonds (1/2 cup)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
Sauce for Filling:
- Hoisin Sauce (8 tablespoons)
- Sambal Chili Paste (3 tablespoons)
- Roasted Sesame Seed (1 tablespoon)
Ingredients you will need:
1) Dice 1/2 of an onion, a handful of cilantro leaves, and 1 red bell pepper. Leave aside.
2) Mince garlic.
3) Prepare sauce. In a small bowl, add hoisin sauce, Sambal, and sesame seeds, and mix together. Leave aside.
4) In a hot pan, add oil. Add garlic and sautee for about 15 seconds. Add ground turkey, salt and pepper. Once turkey is fully cooked, transfer it to a bowl.
5) Any extra liquid from turkey, throw it out in sink.
6) In the same hot pan, add a little extra oil. Add bell pepper and onion, and sautee for like 2-3 minutes until vegetables are wilted but still retains a little crunch.
7) Add turkey and sauce. Toss until sauce covers turkey and vegetables. Finally add almond and cilantro. Give final toss so all the flavors come together.
8) On a plate, place a lettuce leaf. With a spoon, place some of the filling in the leaf. With your hand, fold the lettuce and pop in your mouth.